Welcome To Country
Heritage Perth is proud to offer this Welcome to Country.
Heritage Perth wants students to:
- Acknowledge and recognise that the region, now known as Perth, was home for the Whadjuk Noongyar people before European settlement
- Recognise that despite its built environment, Perth sits within a landscape that has been the home to Noongyar people for over 40 000 years
- Recognise and respect Aboriginal people as the world’s oldest continuous living culture
- Recognise that all people (especially Aboriginal people) have cultures and traditions that are valued today as they were in the past
- Value the connectedness between country, place, people and culture as this creates a sense of identity
- Recognise there are diversity and similarities in all peoples and that reconciliation is achieved through empathy and respect
- View the changing landscape of Perth – built, natural and Indigenous – as part of an ever-changing process that began long before European settlement.